Another great example of the principle that one should never try to estimate how much time a job on a boat will take, since it simply will a) decrease the probability that you will do it and b) be wrong by a factor of about 3 (the job will always take 3 times as much time as your estimate, no matter what your estimate is). Better to just start working; then you will at least save time on planning…
On the HR41, there are 32 curtains (16 portlights), assuming you do not put curtains on the portlight in the cockpit locker. We decided to go for a fabric which matches the gelcoat and also lets some light thru (as opposed to the old/original curtains which were dark blue).
New curtains; 32 pieces, Thankfully, tthe sewing is very simple.
The fabric prevents people outside from looking in, but still lets quite a lot of light in.
On the bulkhead between the salon and the forward head, we have two oil lamps fitted. They are manufactured by E S SÃ¶rensen (http://www.essorensen.com/, ‘passenger lamp’). However, they do give off quite a bit of heat, which is often a nice thing in Scandinavia, but it also means that the wood beam above becomes quite warm. So, we found some functional and easy to fit heat shields.
All cushions have the 36 year old original upholstery. It’s keeping up pretty well considering its age, but does have some ‘boat smell’ to it and also some holes after a previous owner tore out all the buttons from the cushions in the salon. The foam is still very good. So, after spending about USD 1,000 in material and two weeks at the sewing machine off and on, they all look like new. I used an old Pfaff 138 machine (has both straight and zigzag).
All new cushions in place. Now the old curtains really have to go…
Removing all the wooden slats in the salon, cleaning behind, sanding and varnishing the wood and refitting. Again, makes a big difference, especially when you sleep with your face close to the hull. Just like in the engine room, it is also much easier to spot a leak when things are clean and tidy.
All floorboards are made of teak plywood. The veneer is about 2+ mm thick, giving sufficient thickness for sanding a couple of times. Originally, the floorboards are just lightly oiled or waxed and attract quite a lot of dirt as well as being quite sensitive to stains from oil etc. Over the years, they had become quite scratched and did drag down the general feel of the interior.
Usually, I only use traditional varnish (Le Tonkinois and International Schooner and Original), but for the floorboards I used International’s 2-component polyurethane varnish Perfection Plus with anti-slip pearls.
We rebedded all the portlights with marine sealant, painted all the skylight recesses, varnished the wood trim around the skylights, built a temporary binnacle for the new instruments at the chart table (navtex, dwd, barometer, battery monitor, vhf with ais) – next winter it will be replaced with one in mahogany (including all the modifications which we already are starting to list down).